n this Final Segment, South Africa’s Deputy Chief Justice, Justice Raymond Zondo, discusses matters affecting the judging and judgment-making process.
Some of the issues covered include
- Do Judges have no right to express personal opinions publicly on matters affecting society or country?
- Does public opinion matter in the judging and judgment-making process?
- Are Judges not susceptible to being influenced by what they read, see or hear in the media in their judging and judgment-making process?
- To what extent does a Judge’s Life experience and socio-economic & political background influence or determine his/her approach in a case?
- Isn’t there a danger in appointing a sitting judge to chair Commission of Inquiry?